Building Illustration - Color
History of the Society Title Image
History of the Society Icon On February 1, 1901 a group of nine artists and one advising businessman founded the Society with this credo: “The object of the Society shall be to promote generally the art of illustration and to hold exhibitions from time to time”. The first monthly dinners were attended by such prominent illustrators as Howard Pyle, Maxfield Parish, N.C. Wyeth, Charles Dana Gibson, Frederic Remington, James Montgomery Flagg, Howard Chandler Christy and special guests like Mark Twain and Gloria Swanson.
Continue >
 
History of the building
History of the Building icon The building at 128 East 63rd Street was built in 1875 to be the carriage house of William P. Read. Mr. Read was J. P. Morgan's personal secretary, or his attorney as we call the position today. Mr. Read’s private residence was either on Fifth Avenue or on the East River looking out towards Queens. The exact location has never been researched.
Continue >