GUIDELINES FOR SUBMITTING WORK FOR THE MOCCA ARTS FESTIVAL AWARDS OF EXCELLENCE
The Society of Illustrators is excited to announce the second Annual MoCCA Arts Festival Awards of Excellence! These awards will recognize the most outstanding work on view at the festival. Artists winning this award will be acknowledged with an Award of Excellence and will have their work exhibited at the Museum of Comic and Cartoon Art at the Society of Illustrators from April 29 - May 17.
This year's extraordinary list of judges includes Gregory Benton (comic artist and illustrator), Tracy Hurren (Managing Editor at Drawn & Quarterly), Chip Kidd (Designer/Writer), Chris Pitzer (Publisher and Founder of AdHouse books), and James Sturm (co-founder and Director of The Center for Cartoon Studies, cartoonist). To learn more about our judges click here.
If you are an artist who plans to attend the festival with a new self-published book (see Eligibility below) and want to submit your comic to the jury, please follow these guidelines:
• Send five copies of the comic to:
re: MoCCA Arts Festival Awards of Excellence
Society of Illustrators
128 East 63rd Street
New York, New York 10065
The deadline to receive books is March 27, 2014.
• The Society of Illustrators will forward your comics to the individual judges on Friday, March 28. The judges will receive them on Monday, March 31st, and be able to scrutinize them with care and deliberation that week.
* All entries must include an official Entry Form taped to the back of the work.
• Eligibility: You are probably eligible. We are looking for new work by new cartoonists, handcrafted comics, self-published comics (and self-published comics distributed by others), and comics published by co-ops and schools. No work will be accepted if published before 2013. Cartoonists published by established independent publishers (not to mention corporate ones) like Fantagraphics, Top Shelf, D&Q, Secret Acres, are not eligible; those cartoonists have already achieved fame and wealth, and are not eligible for an award designed to discover new and emerging talent and to reward youth and pluck. If “youth" and “pluck” do not describe you, do not submit your work.
• The criteria for judging the work will be based entirely on the idiosyncratic aesthetic judgments of the individual jurors, honed on the battlefield of comics publishing for more years than they care to recall, and those artists who submit their work can count on the very highest-level jurying ever done for a comics award with a vigorous and high-minded aesthetic debate among the jurors to determine the six lucky winners. Ties will be determined by arm-wrestling in the privacy of their luxurious juror suite.
Society of Illustrators Executive Director Anelle Miller says, "The exhibitors at the MoCCA Arts Festival are among the most daring and inventive voices in comics and illustration working today, and we are pleased to celebrate their important work and advance the Society's long heritage of recognizing the finest artists in all fields of illustration with the MoCCA Arts Festival Awards of Excellence."
The Jury will convene to discuss their contenders, ultimately deciding on 5 "Awards of Excellence" to be named the evening of April 5th. All materials chosen in the jury's initial survey will be acquired by Columbia University's Rare Book and Manuscript Library for a newly established MoCCA Arts Festival collection, to be expanded annually.
Thank you to our sponsors!