Paying the Land: Joe Sacco and Art Spiegelman in conversation on testimony and the power of comics to tell history from the bottom up and reveal some of history's hidden corners
July 08, 2020 | 7:00 pm
In Paying the Land, his new book of comics reportage, renowned cartoonist Joe Sacco recounts the stories of the indigenous Dene of north west Canada, revealing their battles over land theft and resource extraction, and the painful fight to hold on to a culture, language, and way of life.
About the Panelists:
Joe Sacco is the author of Footnotes in Gaza, for which he received the Ridenhour Book Prize, as well as the acclaimed Palestine, Journalis
m, Safe Area Goražde, and many other books. His work has been translated into fourteen languages and his comics reporting has appeared in The New York Times Magazine, Time, and Harpers.
Art Spiegelman is the creator of the two-volume, Pulitzer Prize-winning Maus: A Survivor's Tale as well as In the Shadow of No Towers and Meta Maus, among other books. He is also co-founder/editor of Raw, the acclaimed magazine of avant-garde comics and graphics, and a contributing editor and artist to The New Yorker. His drawings and prints have been exhibited in museums and galleries throughout the world.
How to create a zoom acount:
1. Go to zoom.us and click the button "Sign Up For Free".
2. Input your information on the next pages.
3. An email will be sent to you. Please check your inbox to activate your account. Follow the instructions in the email.
How to register for the lecture
1. Once the link becomes live, click on the above button highlighted in pink.
2. Input your information on the next screen.
How to activate the "webinar" to access the lecture
1. Once you have registered, an email will be sent to you.
2. Before the lecture, click on the link "Click Here to Join". This will direct you to the webinar. It will go live when the host joins.