The Society of Illustrators invites publishers, illustrators, agents, and authors to submit books to the 37th annual exhibition of The Original Art. Founded in 1980 by Dilys Evans and sponsored by the Society since 1989, the show celebrates the fine art of children’s book illustration. A jury of outstanding illustrators, art directors, editors, and experts in the field of children’s publishing will choose which books are to be represented in the show and will select gold and silver medal recipients. Jurying is anonymous, and an artist may have no more than two books accepted for the show.
ANYONE MAY SUBMIT: Publishers, illustrators, agents, and authors. Publishers, please pass along the website link (in “How to Enter” below) to eligible artists if you are not able to submit their work.
Not eligible: Books entered in previous years, color proofs or printouts, self-published books, photographic books, textbooks, YA books, anthologies with multiple, independent illustrators.
HOW TO ENTER:
• Go to https://goo.gl/forms/rn51jtScgGdXzb2T2 and fill in the form for each book being entered.
• Once the entry form has been submitted, an email receipt will be sent to you. Print out the receipt and tape it to the back of the book being submitted.
• Send the book and entry receipt, accompanied by the entry fee, to: Society of Illustrators, The Original Art 2017, 128 East 63rd Street, New York, NY 10065.
Entry materials will not be returned, and books will be donated to appropriate charities.
• $30 per title / $20 for SI members submitting their own work/
• Fee must accompany books. Please make checks payable to: Society of Illustrators. If paying by credit card (Visa/MC/Amex), attach information (type of card, name on card, number, exp. date) on a separate sheet of paper. You may also pay online here.
• To request an invoice, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org. INVOICE # MUST BE INCLUDED ON CHECK.
• If submitting one payment for multiple entries, include list of books covered.
• Gold Medal and Silver Medals chosen by the jury.
• Lifetime Achievement Awards nominated by a blue-ribbon panel and voted on by artists juried into past shows.
• Dilys Evans Founder’s Award presented for best new talent of the year. Chair: Pat Cummings. Jury: Sophie Blackall and G. Brian Karas, illustrators; Cecilia Yung, VP and Executive AD of G. P. Putnam’s Sons and Nancy Paulsen Books.
Thursday, November 2, 2017, from 6:00 to 9:00 PM. Each artist represented in the show will receive two complimentary tickets; Additional tickets may be purchased for $30 per person. SI members: $25 per person.